Our History


Hotel La Balance and Le Maréchal Jean Lattre de Tassigny

Hotel La Balance, an ancient building of the 16th Century is situated in the oldest district of Montbéliard and in the shadow of the fortification of Le Château des Ducs de Wurtemberg.

After freeing Montbéliard on 17th November 1944, Le Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny,  Commander of the French First Army, established his headquarters at Hotel La Balance from 19th November 1944 to 22n February 1945. From this Establishment, he ordered the liberation of the regions of Montbéliard and of Alsace. There is a plaque affixed to the front of the hotel commemorating Le Maréchal’s time here.

A few years later, a new street was opened in Montbéliard, l’Avenue de Lattre de Tassigny, named thus in memory of the Commander in Chief. Many well-known figures attended the inauguration of the street such as Major General Quesnot - Major of the 7ème DB and of the 65ème Division Militaire Territoriale -, General Sciard - President of the Rhin et Danube Association - and General Biard  - the Grand Chancellor of the Legion of Honour, as well as the wife of Jean de Lattre de Tassigny.